Enjoy a peaceful canal side walk and watch the narrow boats gently gliding by or dine alfresco in the delightful landscaped rear garden.
This handsome late Victorian end of terrace house is peacefully situated in a highly sought tree lined road within a few minutes level stroll of the town centre and historic Quakers Walk.
This charming period home has been sympathetically updated by the current owners to include new bathroom and contemporary fitted kitchen with French doors opening onto the easily managed landscaped rear garden, the useful addition of a ground floor cloakroom, conservatory and updated double glazed windows.
The accommodation is arranged over two floors and briefly comprises; reception hall, bay fronted sitting room, separate dining room with a period style fireplace, contemporary fitted kitchen/breakfast room with French doors opening onto the rear garden, and a useful conservatory/utility. On the first floor are three good size bedrooms, two of which enjoy a pleasant double aspect and with original cast iron fireplaces. There is an attractive family bathroom.
There is a delightful private landscaped rear garden with soft fruit bushes and both cherry and pear trees. Double timber gates provide pedestrian side access and beyond to the canal tow path. Residents permit parking is available in Victoria Road itself.
Warmed by gas central heating and enhanced by double glazing. A perfect period home in a most convenient and sought-after tree lined road.
Devizes is a splendid historic market town that still hosts a weekly traditional outdoor market. There is an excellent range of shopping facilities and the town provides easy access to the larger cities of Georgian Bath and the cathedral city of Salisbury. There are mainline railway stations at nearby Pewsey and Chippenham (London, Paddington) approx. one hour twenty minutes with junction 17 of the M4 motorway also within easy reach.
HISTORY OF VICTORIA ROAD;
Victoria Road was originally built by the Anstie family for the workers of the snuff and tobacco factory in New Park Street. Devizes Borough Council first discussed the building of homes for artisans in August 1899. Counsellor Anstie hoped to apply for funding under the Housing of the Working Classes Act or the Small Dwellings Acquisition Act but had to abandon this because of the red tape involved. Eventually they enlisted the help of the Swindon Permanent Building Society, founded 32 years earlier, to gain the funding for the scheme.
The Wiltshire Gazette of July 1900 reported: "The new cottages will contain two living rooms and three bedrooms, together with washhouse and water closet which will be built onto the cottages so as to make them self-contained and to avoid unsightly detached buildings, while the front gardens will be as pretty as any street in Devizes."
The town council wanted to call the street after Counsellor Anstie but modesty prevented him from agreeing. Because Queen Victoria had